I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award for the second time–first by Cindy at Cindy’s Musings and then today by Grace at Style, Art and Grace. I’m thrilled…thank you, ladies! I so enjoy reading both of your blogs. My very favorite part of this blogging thing is meeting other smart, creative bloggers, and participating in the Liebster Award tag is such a cool way to do so.
As far as I can tell, the Liebster Award isn’t a centralized thing. It’s not a regulated award, just an honor passed from blogger to blogger. When you’re nominated, you answer the questions posed by the blogger who nominated you and then yourself nominate another set of bloggers. All the blogs you name are supposed to be on the smaller side, because the idea is to spread Internet love and help other baby blogs grow.
Plus, everyone loves answering questions about themselves. While in the real world this kind of self-indulgence might come off as narcissism, in the blog world it’s just known as self-empowerment. How awesome is that? I think women especially have a hard time doing this, because we’re trained to deflect compliments and downplay our strengths from the start. To hell with that–I say, if you got it, own it. Celebrate it. And celebrate it in others. Your goal for today, ladies: give a genuine compliment to a woman you love and accept one in return. The only thing you’re allowed to say is, “Thank you! I’m flattered.”
I loved reading Grace and Cindy’s answers and am unashamedly excited to answer my own set of questions (I’m using Grace’s.) Here we go!
1. If someone gave you unlimited funds right now to re-decorate your home or re-vamp your wardrobe, which would you choose?
Probably my home, which is almost empty at the moment since my mom and I moved in not long ago and are only slowly acquiring furniture. We left most things in Wisconsin when we moved since we knew we’d be in a much smaller house here in LA. We love to go shopping at garage sales and flea markets for unique pieces, so we’re slowly assembling a collection of stuff we both love. For my room, I’m currently trying to decide between Benjamin Moore’s Hale Navy and Newburyport Blue for an accent wall with whites and creams everywhere else.
2. What is the one fashion accessory you could never give up?
Sunglasses…being in the bright sun without them gives me a headache, so I never leave the house here without a pair! What’s sad is I always am leaving them places. I had one pair from Madewell that I adored (these in tortoise) and somehow lost at the beginning of my freshman year…still so devastated that I’ve only let myself buy Forever 21 and H&M pairs since.
3. If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and why?
I’d stay right here in my pretty little pocket of sun 🙂
4. What made you decide to start your blog and what is your favorite thing about blogging?
I’ve always loved reading other blogs and have considered starting my own before, but I’ve never felt like I’ve had something unique or useful to say. Now that I’m in college and doing internships, I have a little more experience to write about. With Dolce & Gabriella, I hope to share what I’m learning and generate some of the great content and conversation that I’ve observed on the blogosphere for so long.
5. You’re running late getting ready in the morning and have to decide between doing your hair or your makeup. Which do you decide to do?
Makeup. Bed head is a look I can pull off; pimple-covered face is not.
6. Do you have one go-to beauty product you couldn’t live without?
The Falsies by Maybelline. I can’t afford department store stuff, so this is the next best thing if you want big volume like I do. The only catch with it is you have to scrape the excess mascara off the brush back into the opening of the bottle before using–the formula works best when there’s a minimal amount on the brush.
7. What is the fall fashion trend you are most looking forward to trying?
I have a great, really simple suede fringed bag I’ve been saving until fringe is back. Judging by Blake Lively’s new Vogue shoot, it’s way back.
8. Who is your style icon and why?
I love Charlotte Gainsbourg’s style…effortless with just a little edge. Oh, what I’d give to be French.
9. Where is your favorite place to shop when looking for fashion on a smaller budget?
Goodwill! I buy clothes almost exclusively secondhand. I actually wrote a post about my love of Goodwill a few weeks ago.
10. Would you rather shop online or in an actual store?
In-store. The very most important thing to me when choosing clothes is the fit. You can’t assess fit without trying something on, unfortunately. I only order online when there’s free shipping and free returns so the process is risk-free.
11. Describe your style in one sentence:
“Make it simple, but significant.”–Don Draper
Now for my own questions, I’ll nominate a few blogs that I follow, but this is really an open nomination. If you have a blog and you read my blog, I nominate you! Fill out the questions if you’d like and drop me a note so I can take a look 🙂
1. Fill in the blank: I got 99 problems but _____ ain’t one.
2. You get to/have to take a trip around the world with one other person for a year. Who would you most enjoy/tolerate doing it with and why?
3. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
4. Name the next Kardashian sister. You can choose to continue the “K” dynasty or derail it forever…the power lies in your hands.
5. If it were impossible for you to fail at it, what’s one thing you’d do?
6. If you were to write a coffee table book about something, what would it be about? One idea:
7. What possession does your best friend have that you’d like to steal the most? (FYI: “her boyfriend/girlfriend” is not an acceptable answer.)
8. What was your favorite Disney Channel Original Movie? I liked Life Size.
9. If you could change your name, would you? To what?
10. What’s your most guilty guilty pleasure?
11. Once you’ve made it and you’re filthy rich, what’s one thing you’re never going to do yourself again?
1. Carolyn at The Makeup Writeup, who’s not only a fellow Trojan–go SC!–but also a brilliant makeup reviewer and blogging advisor. Special shoutout for teaching me how to use HTML tags in comment boxes.
2. Priya at Perfectly Priya because I love her friendly, witty writing style
3. Jess at Just Jess May for her funny, thoughtful, so relatable posts
4. Maggie at Clothes to Midnight because her photography is gorgeous and her style is always on point
5. Shannon at Clothes and Quotes because her laid-back West Coast style is something I aspire to
6. Haley at Belle Vie because she just did an awesome series on skirts and inspired me to haul all of mine out of the back of my closet
I’m just so happy to be in this blogging world and to have met so many great people already. If you have a baby blog and haven’t dropped me a comment yet, please do today so we can introduce each other–I respond to everything and am all about returning the favor on your blog.